Do this while using an app for insight meditation (e.g., insight timer)
- Turn off all notifications on the phone.
- Set the timer to only start and end tones
- Unguided mode
- Note the nostrils and flow of air
- Start systematically from the top of the head (crown) through the difference parts of the body.
- In breath, out-breath, body part, the attention cyclically follows. All other sensations and thoughts may arise but watch them arise and sink. This is where trust awareness becomes important as these thoughts will come back at an emergent moment. The trick is to let them sink in the memory recess.
- Follow this process for 21 breathing cycles as you rotate through the body. I have seen that in a35-minute meditation span I can only do so much.
- At some point need to meditate on Metta (loving kindness), Karuna (compassion and empathy), mudita (empathetic joy), and upekkha (equanimity).
- Also need to watch the feelings (pleasant, unpleasant, neutral), states of mind, and watch how theories of mind and phenomenon play during the meditation session.
A full cycle seems to me will take at least an hour. There is nothing to be gained from one session or a number of them as it is just working out the consciousness.